16V Brake Booster problem

Thanks very much, Dan.  That makes good sense, most especially since I
had the devil spawn of the same problem with my A1 GTI.  I heard a
wooshing sound anytime I stepped on the brakes.  I recall that I found
some mystery foam bits on the floor, I had assumed it was from elsewhere...

Any recommendations on where I might find some more to fix the sucker?

David