What's your tune-up routine? Plus bonus ?s

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:06:38 -0500, Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:

>I love your car but you have it because Drake built it solid.

Thanks for the love Spewey!  But the head I have DID come with the car
and even sourcing a hydro head to be modified in summer of 86 would
have just added to the cost.

>If they told you it had to be hydro you woulda flopped like a fish.

Probably, since Drake knew a whole bunch more than I did about engine
building.  But if you read a bit of what Collins wrote in 1988 about
making a big valve hydro head, I don't think it would have happened:

"When we designed the hydraulic BVH we made this, and only this
assumption:
1) This is a high performance head. Therefore, who cares about
hydraulic lifters and the convenience of never having to adjust the
valves.  Furthermore, there are performance penalties for using the
hydraulic lifters:  a substantial weight penalty.  And for all high
performance applications, a major quest is to lighten the valve
train."

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9