What's your tune-up routine? Plus bonus ?s

Time to do my first tune up on my own. I'm planning on doing the air filter,
fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coolant, and tranny fluid. Probably
oil too since it's getting to be time. Is there anything else that
should/could be done at this point?

I've got a couple other questions also.

How can I tell which distributor cap I need? The PO swapped in a 2.0 8v
block with a 1.8 head into my 79, but I don't think anything was changed on
the ignition side. Is it common to change any of that with that kind of
swap? I don't have the metal shield on the cap, but there seems to be two
other caps available from Potterman without the metal shield:
this<http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=03368>one
and
this <http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=03010>one.

Also, what brand of plugs do most of you prefer? I usually hear NGK or Bosch
are good. Are platinum or silver tipped really worth the cost?

Last question is about tranny fluid. Has anyone ever used GM Synchromesh
with friction reducer before? I've been hearing very good things about it.
What do most of you use?