Clarification on CA DMV Rules

Cali Listers,

Can anyone familiar with CA DMV rules confirm what the soon to be previous
owner of Cali # 2 is telling me? The car has not been registered in CA for
some time now and to get it on the road they would need to pay all of the
previous years of registration to get it legal.

However, they can get me a transit permit for $16 to get it out of state but
I have to tell them the route and time table that I will take to leave the
state. If this is true, it is a problem because I plan on staying in San
Diego for a few days for a wedding before leaving.

Ideas?

-Marc