Solder, Crimp or Screw terminals?

Uh, how about I clamp the terminal in my vice and heat it and the end of the wire with a blowtorch while liquifying enough solder in the terminal to fill it up, then dunk it.  That's what I did last time.  I would have had to wait an hour with my Weller, I think.  I think the wire I used had too few strands as it broke near the engine but away from the joint.  Looks like I'll be screwing in some ends and crimping in the others.  OTOH, the wires on my '95 Passat look pretty nice, just not as big as the 1/0 I was going to use on one of my cars.  The B4 Passat terminals have one wire - maybe 4 ga., that is soldered in, then four (4)! ring terminal mounts.  Pretty nice for a stock terminal.  The terminal clamps are solid lead, I think, with a steel wedge sort of thing that tightens well.

Anyway, I'm about to order about $150 worth of stuff from partsexpress, including some nifty P3 terminals someone linked to last week.  Hopefully all 3 cars will be happier then.  Hot starts in Texas heat are a crap shoot in two of them.

Brian

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.