Timing Check 16v

So I've never had an occaision to check timing on a 16v.  I wander over to the car with the light and realize that there is no friggin way to see the timing marks without taking the intake tube off - in which case the engine won't run, defeating the purpose of checking timing.

So what gives?  Do I have to pull the intake tube and use the starter to spin it to check timing?

Upload all timing checking advice now, please.

Thanks.

Brian

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.