(inquiry) What transmission would YOU recommend?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Carroll" <vr612valve@yahoo.com>
To: <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: (inquiry) What transmission would YOU recommend?

>     -Also, here are some questions about the g60 bottom end:
>   Will the 4k work on the g60 shortblock?

Yes.

>   Will a factory Corrado trans. be needed for the 16v/g60 swap? 020 or
02j?

No.  I have spoken with German Transaxle a few times on this topic.  They
say that two of them have regularly raced 020s with power up to 225 at the
ground with no trouble.  The problem is that folks build up their motor
alone, and then mate it to a tranny with 20 years and at least 100K on it
and wonder why they have issues.  IF you do this or something else with more
than 120 hp at the ground, you really should go through and rebuild the
tranny, esp. if you drive like you hate tires...  The factory Corrado manual
is an 02A...

>      Most of what I am planning/deciding is still up in the air, but I
have seen a g60 Scirocco in action, and that thing rocked! Let me know what
you guys think, and thanks again for all the useful info!

The next engine I am building will be a G60, so I am doing a bit of research
now while I am waiting for parts to come back from the shops.  There is some
good info on VWV G60 forum, but be unassuming and easy-going when you post.
There are some knowledgeable trolls who interogate in there (IMO)...

For myself, I think I have decided to build a stock-bore G60 with a heavily
worked G60 and Head.  I hope to see 200 hp on the ground, and anticipate
more.  While I will have a rebuilt tranny ready, I don't think I can yet
afford a Quaiffe/Peloquin.  :-) Be sure to include that in your
cost-projections...

David

The