(inquiry) What transmission would YOU recommend?

   Ok, I will try and answer all of your questions, and also ask more of course pertaining to the info that you have already given. First off: thanks for responding so quickly yous guys and gals. This Scirocco List rules! So here it is...

     The transmission has lost 5th. It acts like neutral when you try to put it into the gear, and a whining noise occurs during cold start. So a used unit I think will be my best option. I think it is way cool that you can customize the ratios, and it just justifies the fact that you can form a VW like Voltron with all types of intercangable components. However I'm just going to stick to a simple, direct bolt-on swap that can work with the stock (81') engine, and possibly the engine swap as well.

     This also brings me to a new delema- I have recently been looking at BBM's 16v/g60 Limited conversion that they offer, because 1st off, the conversion parts package is pretty affordable; and 2ndly, if you begin with the g60 block the amount of 16v parts that you need isn't that bad. The ABA would rock, but I'm also looking at another huge step if I want to put any type of FI onto that lump.

     I'm sure that this changes everything with the compatibility of engines and the transmissions that you guys suggested. I am just going to find a direct replacement trans. for daily driving, until I decide on exactly what conversion I will do.
    -So here are my questions:

  The 4k sounds like it would be right up my alley, so what vehicles do I need to look for? I would probably be happy with the FF as well...what cars for that one?
  Do any of you guys know where one is, that is close to the SE that I could buy?
  What kind of loot do you think I will have to fork over for a good example?
  Will I beable to keep the 90mm c/v joints?

    -Also, here are some questions about the g60 bottom end:
  Will the 4k work on the g60 shortblock?
  Will a factory Corrado trans. be needed for the 16v/g60 swap? 020 or 02j?

     Most of what I am planning/deciding is still up in the air, but I have seen a g60 Scirocco in action, and that thing rocked! Let me know what you guys think, and thanks again for all the useful info!
                                                                                                     -A. Carroll

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
 Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!