(inquiry) What transmission would YOU recommend?

On 1/14/06, Adam Carroll <vr612valve@yahoo.com> wrote:
>      This also brings me to a new delema- I have recently been looking at BBM's 16v/g60 Limited conversion that they offer, because 1st off, the conversion parts package is pretty affordable; and 2ndly, if you begin with the g60 block the amount of 16v parts that you need isn't that bad. The ABA would rock, but I'm also looking at another huge step if I want to put any type of FI onto that lump.

Not necessarily.  You can use an ABA block (preferably 95 & older for
it's forged internals & piston oil squirters) and put a 16v head on it
for a 8.5:1 compression ratio, ready for some serious boost.

>      I'm sure that this changes everything with the compatibility of engines and the transmissions that you guys suggested.

Nope, they're all interchangable.   If you use an 8v tranny you need
to use an 8v compatible clutch disc (use whatever pressure plate you
want (16v or 8v) they all bolt up).  You may as well put money into a
tranny that'll meet your needs down the road, since it'll also work
with your present setup.  A 4K (or other short geared tranny) is not
ideally suited for forced induction, so your other choice (FF) might
be a better option.

>   The 4k sounds like it would be right up my alley, so what vehicles do I need to look for?

The 4K came in the 83 & 84 Rabbit GTI's.

>   I would probably be happy with the FF as well...what cars for that one?

IIRC there are two versions of the FF.  81 and earlier had a different
5th gear.  Stay away from the weak .76 5th geared FF's for forced
induction.

>   Do any of you guys know where one is, that is close to the SE that I could buy?
>   What kind of loot do you think I will have to fork over for a good example?
>   Will I beable to keep the 90mm c/v joints?

Try the forums on <www.vwvortex.com>, or put out a WTB post on the
list.  Used trannies go anywhere from free to $300 for a used unit,
with rebuilt (or recently rebuilt) trannies going from there to over
$1000...

You'll be able to use 90mm cv's, just swap over the flanges (and the
appropriate seals)

>     -Also, here are some questions about the g60 bottom end:
>   Will the 4k work on the g60 shortblock?

Yup, any 020 will bolt up directly to a G60 block.

>   Will a factory Corrado trans. be needed for the 16v/g60 swap? 020 or 02j?

Not unless you like fabricating tranny mounts and swapping over to
cable shift.

HTH,

Mark.
75