the tank

> Nope - it was a manufacturing defect in the tank and
> supposedly only affects the '87 and '88 Sciroccos and
> Cabriolets.  (The recall was dated 1990 or 1991.)  I have
> seen a couple of the later '86 cars have this problem as
> well, but they're not covered in the recall.  Basically the
> problem was that the seam weld on the tank would develop a
> hole on the driver's side - over the exhaust.

But mine (87 16V) had a similar leak on the passenger's side, it dribbled
over the axle. DS would be easier for diagnostics, as mine also, at the
same time, needed a new filler neck (pinholes there) and the flabby rubber
hose between tank and filler was also junk. (I think it was a rad hose
actually, gotta love POs). But the dealer DID cover mine under warrantee.
Took three trips on the hoist get the job done properly, but it was free.
Cathy