the tank

--- David Utley <fahrvergnugen@cox.net> wrote:

> The leaking appears to be restricted to the Sciroccos and
> Cabriolets
> made after 84.5.

> I think the theory was that rust creeps in on the left
> seam because of
> where it sits in comparison to the left wheel?  Or was it
> the right?

Nope - it was a manufacturing defect in the tank and
supposedly only affects the '87 and '88 Sciroccos and
Cabriolets.  (The recall was dated 1990 or 1991.)  I have
seen a couple of the later '86 cars have this problem as
well, but they're not covered in the recall.  Basically the
problem was that the seam weld on the tank would develop a
hole on the driver's side - over the exhaust.

Most likely, the recall has already been dealt with once on
the car, and the dealership will say no dice.  You'll then
have to call VWoA and explain the situation to them.
Probably with some bitching, they'll tell you to have the
car brought to the dealer so the tank can be inspected.  Of
course, they'll find the leak in the spot the recall
specifies, and VW will cover the new tank.

Unless, of course, the car has ever been written off as a
total.  In that case, you're SOL and will have to do the
whole thing yourself.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172