Hypotheticly thinking about paint

> The only rust that I have seen is in the drivers door jam. I'm sure
> there is probably some under the carpet or under some under coating.
> By the sound of it I need to save up for longer than planned with a
> full rust removal and paint and under coating.

Well, paint is wicked expensive, and you may as well put it over something
that's going to be a long term canvas for it, you know? And suspension
mounting points are probably the most critical areas to check, where the A
arm mounts up in particular, and where the rear axle attaches. I find a
digital with a flash shows rust like nobody's business, so taking a few
shots will show where there's rust, then you have to figure out if it's
only on the surface or the more serious "weld in new metal" variety. Either
type will give you more than enough to do...

> No red is partially because there is a red mk2 floating around town.
> There is also at least one black and one that is primer with mars red
> spots. I want to be able to identify mine if it is parked directly
> next to another scirocco. Right now we have a dark green metallic
> blazer, and a black sidekick. The alero was a blue.

I always like to go to car shows when I'm colour shopping, that way you see
all kinds of nice paint in one place. I've alway wanted a metallic sunrise
pearl one (as in, school bus yellow), but Klaus told me he wanted to stay
Kolobri green, so who am I to argue? Maybe there's a third one for me
sometime...

> I'm not saying I want to make it look pretty before making it work
> well. I just started thinking about the peeling clear coat and rust
> and figured that it could use a new paint job and while I was at it I
> might tackle the rust. Getting it working is my priority right now (I
> just picked up the struts/shocks/e-brake cables today).

Oh, I didn't say that at all, and I do think it's much more pleasant to
work on the car if it looks good. And it sounds like you have lots of
mechanical upgrades on the go.

> I really don't know anything about the current joints. I just know
> that when we got it a couple of boots were torn and it has been
> driven all of 40 miles since then.

If you have torn boots, one or two things will happen: grit/water/bits of
Bambi from the road will get in and screw up the joint, or it will throw
out all its grease all over the immediate vicintity and grenade from that.
I'd just buy a reman axle, or two myself, I'm not into that greasebath
either. (Though one of the axles Daun got wasn't packed with grease...so it
was still really messy)

> imagine that a lift would really help matters, but all I have is a
> little jack and two jack stands. I still can't figure out where to
> put a jack stand when the jack is on the one solid point.

Most of us have a little jack and jackstands. I usually put the stand on
the mounting point of the contral arm, some say not to, but that's what I
do, and the jack goes on the little round nub under there for the purpose.
On the back, I always put the stand under the axle, seems to work.
And get that car a name...
cathy