Hypotheticly thinking about paint

On 8:22:27 am 02/17/06 Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Jacob Hawes <gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:

> >  really don't know how far I will go with repainting it
> >  and whether or
> >  not I will try to get all the rust (that I know it has
> >  even if I can't
> >  see much) taken care of or not. But that isn't the
> >  important issue. The
> >  issue is: what color?
>
> Well actually, especially on the Mk 1 cars, rust IS the big
> issue.  It is the number one cause of death for the Mk 1
> Scirocco.

I'd agree with Daun on that, and if rust is going to be cropping up on it,
think about a colour that won't show it badly, for example, not white.

> >  I kinda want to keep the brown interior as replacing all
> >  that would get
> >  too expensive for my income.
>
> >  What colors go well with this stock brown interior? It
> >  does not have to
> >  be a stock '80 color or even a common scirocco color,
> >  just a color that
> >  works. I don't really want to go red or green.

Tan / copper / green rocks my world, but what about black? And a nice
metallic navy would look good too, as would any of the earth tones,
obviously, like bronze. And you're right, it's not easy being green...

> Not that fast
> >  can't look
> >  good, but that is not my focus.
>
> If it were me, I'd concentrate on getting the mechanicals
> up to snuff, as it sounds like you have a good many things
> to do in that department first.  I'm of the school that
> believes in mechanics first, looks second - some people are
> just the opposite.  Bottom line - do whatever works for you
> - it is YOUR car.  Just remember that if it's worth doing,
> it's worth doing right.

There's sure merit to getting mechanicals done, but if the car is butt
ugly, it's easier to lose interest than if it looks great. Looks great
behind a tow truck sucks though.

> In my book, the simplest thing to do is get a pair of reman
> axles.  Lifetime warranty, and probably quicker to change
> out than installing new boots on questionable CV joints.
> (What's the time to beat Cathy - 45 minutes tools out to
> tools away, in the parking lot at Buffalo airport?)

Which axle Daun? Does that time include all the laughing and groping around
in the dark? We really must be nuts. It sure was fun though.
And we all know what colour Gino will get resprayed.
Cathy