Mega Squirt gurus..

On 2/9/06, Cory Langford <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:

> I have decided on the 2L pg turbo to go Mega Squirt (I was originally
> going to get a custom chip from SNS for the Digi-1 ecu).
>
> I have a whole lot of research to do, but I know there were a few people
> who put M.S. on their sciroccos so I thought I'd ask for info straight
> from the source :)
>
> I was wondering about the ignition.  I have heard from locals to stick
> with a distrib as the coil packs that were suggested tend to burn out a
> lot and the original distrib with hall sensor is much simpler to hook in.

The distributor with the stock hall sensor for trigger is the simplest way to go. If you use the V2.2 board you'll have to use a stock Bosch ignition module to control dwell to the coil. If you use a V3 board then it has a built in circuit to do this.
I'm not sure what coil packs you're refering to since 8V engines didn't come with any, but if you're talking about the 1.8T coil pack then, indeed, the early transverse applications for this engine did have a reliability problem. MS I can drive coil-on-plug should you feel compelled and the early Audi 1.8T units that did not have a built in ignitor don't have the reliability issue.

> Anyone tried the new M.S.2?

The main advantage to MS II currently (it's software is nowhere near as advanced as the MSnS-E software for MS I) is that the CPU is much faster and gives much better injector open time resolution for low load conditions if you have big injectors. My nephew is running 440cc injectors with adequate resolution with the MS I. So, right off hand I'd say you need bigger injectors than that before thinking seriously about MS II.

  I see they claim you don't need a crank
> sensor anymore, so I am not sure which way to go.

I don't understand. Any of the MS variants will trigger from a hall sensor. Should you want to go to a crank sensor w/60-2 wheel in the future, then MSnS-E w/MS I CPU can trigger from this. The stock VW crank sensor can connect directly to the V3 board ignition circuitry. The V2.2 board needs some circuitry added to work with a VR sensor.

> Also, what did you use for things like Temp sensors, etc,?  I see that the
> sites are suggesting the GM sensors.  Of course they won't fit into the VW
> flanges, so will the typical water temp sensor, etc that the g60 (and
> other digi-2 cars use) work with M.S.?  Or do I have to have an adaptor
> made and grab some GM sensors?

MS can be adapted to any sensor, but you have to know or measure the resistance vs. temperture curve to calibrate it.
For my nephew's car I added a GM intake air temp sensor, you can see it between the TB and shock tower here:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/jdbubb/86%20JH%20Turbo/59c33298.jpg
I also tapped out the coolant outlet from the head for the GM coolant temp sensor. You can also see that in the above pic.
I'm not sure the stock sensor will work if connected to both the MS and the stock coolant gauge. Never tried it.

> Any other things you ran across that I should look out for would be great
> info.  I figure I will do research now and order up everything I need next
> month for when the weather starts to get nicer around here.

Since you engine already has solenoid injectors, installing the MS is mostly just a wiring exercise.
Using the relay board makes wiring in the unit really painless.
At this point in time the MS I CPU w/MSnS-e software is the most advanced and capable solution.
Download the Megatune software here:
http://not2fast.wryday.com/megasquirt/mt/2.25/

and download this: mt225_setup.exe

That will give you an idea of what MS I can do.
Make sure you go into the C:\programfiles\Megasquirt\car1\mtCfg
directory and edit the "settings.ini" file. "unset" the default
megatune and "set" the "MSNS_EXTRA" megatune.
Do the same with the O2 sensor setup. As a minumum set it to one of
the WB settings.
As far as board selection (V2.2 or V3) both will work well for a distributor and hall sensor trigger setup. (Bear in mind that either CPU will work with either board) If you want to crank trigger sometime in the future then the V3 board might be your best bet, since it already has the circuitry for the VR sensor.
The V3 board has some other advantages other than the better ignition input circuit such as built in ignition driver, internal
current limiting, and flyback circuitry for low impedance injectors.
HTH
Dan