Was: X-Flow Questions, now KS questions

Okay, so I too have been playing with KS/s, in my case, I already have a
knock sensing ignition in my 8V, as the car has high enough compression to
warrant it (essentially an RD). Anyway, I'd been reading that sometimes you
will get a rattle that acts as a rev specific retard, and I have had a
consistent flat spot at about 4000 rpm on this car for some time,
regardless of all kinds of stuff being changed.
Anyway, to see if the KS made a difference, I unhooked it at the plug to
the sensor, and the car ran much worse, so it must be working, but is this
what you'd expect to happen? I know it will retard when it senses a knock,
but how far (degrees) can it adjust timing, anyone know? Inquiring minds
and all that.
Cathy