Bleeding coolant system

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Ruffi" <sciroccos@earthlink.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Cc: <fahrvergnugen@cox.net>; <Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: Bleeding coolant system

> I have always backfilled the system by pulling the upper hose off of the
> radiator and pouring coolant into it (and into the block) until it
> overflows, then filled the system through the expansion tank.  Otherwise,
> there won't be enough coolant in the block and around the thermostat to
> allow it to open.

Not in my experience.  All I do is get all the coolant in there I can, start
the motor with the cap off, rev at 3.5 or better until the fan cycles on.
Before that happens, the coolant level will go down, top it off accoringly,
being careful not to overfill.  I feel like I am repeating a broken record
on this point, so someone tell me to hush if you all have heard it before...