[OT] 2.0 X-Flow Questions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@verizon.net>
To: "David Utley" <fahrvergnugen@cox.net>; "Nate Lowe" <nlowe79@gmail.com>
Cc: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:42 AM
Subject: Re: [OT] 2.0 X-Flow Questions

David,
You're not saying that knocking will bend the rods are you??
----
Yes
---
Maybe damage a piston if you let the engine knock for a long time, but
bending the rods doesn't seem too likely considering there are dead stock
bottom ends out there supporting over 400 hp with a turbo.
-------
I have seen a ABA taken apart recently that as all sorts of coked up inside,
like they put the cheapest fuel in they could find and oil changes were
optional.  When we looked at the bearings, the bearing material was worn
with a definite bias to one side, IE that the rod was bent.  It's my
understanding that if you repeatedly run a motor and it fires well before it
is supposed to, that eventually it will bend the rod.  Is that not true?  I
don't doubt there are machines out there with that many horses that do fine,
but I would think that they are more properly tuned.  Predetonation in
something like that would seem like to snap a rod, esp. at higher RPM under
load?
 And that puts a hell of a lot of sustained force on a rod!
No doubt about it. A KS ignition is a good idea, it's just not absolutely
necessary if you take care like Nate is.
Dan
Let me know what you think, I am going off second-hand experience here.

David