OT Newer VW auto tranny questions

Okay, so the boy is like resident dub-head where he works. So one of the
guys has a 97 Jetta with an auto tranny, he says it's been leaking for
years, and that you can't add fluid. True or false?

Also, would an auto tranny from a B3 Passat (91) fit his at all (Passat was
a 16V, we're assuming a 2.slow for the Jetta)? I know nothing about auto
trannies, can't even drive an automatic actually. Sort of like AC, just get
rid of it, you know? Anyway, input is appreciated. SOmeone will know, I bet
:)
Cathy