OT Newer VW auto tranny questions

-----Original Message-----
From: C Boyko [mailto:roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 6:13 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: OT Newer VW auto tranny questions

Okay, so the boy is like resident dub-head where he works. So one of the
guys has a 97 Jetta with an auto tranny, he says it's been leaking for
years, and that you can't add fluid. True or false?

------------

Both, in a manner of speaking.  There is no dipstick, it is true.  However,
there is a procedure for filling it, comprising of warming the car up to
full temp, and filling it to some level.  At this point, I can't recall if
you filled it where the breather (short little neck extending up for the
drivers' side of the tranny) and the excess leaked out the tube, or if there
was a weep hole you removed a plug from.  Either way, they wanted you to
come to the dealership to have it done which is why they did it that way....

There is a replaceable collar that locks in the plug into the neck I am
describing, we used to sell them -any- time they checked the level of the
fluid and/or topped it off...

On the other Q, I am no help...

David