First of all: I can't get my hood open!

No, no, no, no. You need VW special tool part# 123 456 789A
Or in your case, I guess it would be the special 16V version, PN 027 456
789A :) Same thing, more expensive. This of course, is merely a chunk of
coat hanger wire with a hook on the end, insert it carefully through the
grille, hook the release wire, pull and "pop". The redneck fix, of course,
is a long cable tie on the release wire which protrudes through the grille
till you get the root cause of the problem corrected. :)
Cathy