Downpipe

On 8/16/06, Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:

> Kevin Brosha wrote:
> > Wow, if that's a legit price and includes the downpipe, I may have to go
> > for that too.
>
> Go for it.  I have bought parts from similar places including converter
> sexpress dot com which looks similarly dodgy yet upstanding but not
> identical and was happy.  Converters are easy; I'm amazed anyone would
> try to reproduce that dp because they can't be reman but it looks like
> they did.  Someone buy it and tell us wassup.

I keep meaning to hit reply all so it gets the list and I hit reply
instead.   Anyway.

 It says no welding / botl-on on the site.  If that's right, it pretty
much has to be one unit - downpipe and cat - like the TT one, doesn't it?
It also says it's 34 1/4" long - that's one long cat by itself!

Also, on their scirocco list for cats:

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/volkswagen_scirocco_catalytic_converter.html

this is the only one with a downpipe - and it also costs quite a bit more
than their other cats, which are in the $100 range.  I think it includes the
downpipe.  The picture on the site looks like it's got the dual flex
coupling at the top of the downpipe too.

I'm going to give the outfit a call later today and see what they say.

Then I wrote:

 I'm sure the quality won't match up to a TT downpipe & cat, but at that
price, I wouldn't expect it to.  Return policy is 21 days with 20%
restocking fee according to the website  - pretty high on the restocking
fee.

On the phone right now with the number on the site - they quoted a higher
price (almost $200), and hadn't heard of the site - sounds like a busy call
centre, and the guy doesn't speak english very well.  Hmmm.  I'm on hold now
while he checks whether they can 'pricematch' it.  Also. he says it hays a 1
year warranty, while the website says 5 years.  Sounds dodgy.

Then:

Ok, now he says he can get it for $122.71.  Says their website is
oemparts.com - this website doesn't even offer catalytic converters for
sale.  But now he doesn't know whether he can ship it to Canada.  He's
talking to his supervisor.  Hmmmm.

He refuses to let me speak with his supervisor.  Sounds very suspicious.
Just seems anxious to get the credit card #.  When I ask difficult
questions (eg please explain the phone # problem) he asks me to please call
again later.  When I said this sounds very suspicious and asked to speak to
a supervisor, he put me on hold for a few minutes then another voice comes
on the line saying "thank you for patiently waiting" then a dialtone.

This is too dodgy for me.  If someone else wants to take a chance, go
ahead.  I think I'll opt for the TT downpipe.