Downpipe & Exhaust & Springs

Ok, another advice thread to the list . . .thanks to my vehicle inspection.

A couple years ago, the flex joint was shot on my 16v.  At the time, I
couldn't afford to fix it properly, so I just said, "Fix it as cheaply as
you can".  I'm not sure what the muffler man did, but it ended up with no
flex joint as a result, and now it has cracked, two years later, and won't
pass inspection.

Is it possible to buy just the flex joint and get that welded in?  Replacing
the entire downpipe would be pretty expensive, I'd rather avoid that if
possible . . .unless there's some benefit to that.

On the topic of exhaust, to pick your brains, any aftermarket
recommendations for a full catback exhaust replacement? I don't like loud
though - I'd much rather sacrifice any possible hp gains, which I don't
_really_ need and stick with stock.  I have worse than stock now - like a
$50 el cheapo muffler on there - but I won't think about changing to
something 'better' if it's gonna make the Red Beast any more beastly.

I can't afford to do any of this now beyond fixing the downpipe - just
looking for more information  for my "if I had money" wish list.  It's a
2.0L engine too, but I don't know if that makes a difference for choosing an
exhaust.

Lastly, to steal as much info as I can from you Scirocco wizards, I need to
get new springs sometime in the medium term.  I replaced the struts 2 years
ago with fairly cheap stock replacement Monroe struts - also had to replace
bump stops and so on . . . it cost a lot more than I planned.  To save
money, I didn't replace the springs at the same time.  A mistake, I think -
the rear end bottoms out going over any moderately hefty bumps.  What
springs would any of you suggest to pair with these struts?

Thanks a million to all of you - this list is amazing for both the depth of
the knowledge so many of you have and your willingness to help out those of
us who are only beginners on our Scirocco journeys! Mine started June, 2004
. . . how long will it last?