Downpipe & Exhaust & Springs

See within...

> Ok, another advice thread to the list . . .thanks to my vehicle inspection.
>
> A couple years ago, the flex joint was shot on my 16v.  At the time, I
> couldn't afford to fix it properly, so I just said, "Fix it as cheaply as
> you can".  I'm not sure what the muffler man did, but it ended up with no
> flex joint as a result, and now it has cracked, two years later, and won't
> pass inspection.
>
> Is it possible to buy just the flex joint and get that welded in?
> Replacing the entire downpipe would be pretty expensive, I'd rather avoid
> that if possible . . .unless there's some benefit to that.

It is nowhere near worth it to have the flex joint repaired - the cost of it
alone and then the labor of having it installed is close to if not more than
just ordered a replacement aluminized DP from TT (order it through lister Peter
L. (peter_at_thescirocco_dot_com). If you live in a snowy area, you should go
with a stainless DP if you plan on keeping the car that long.

> On the topic of exhaust, to pick your brains, any aftermarket
> recommendations for a full catback exhaust replacement? I don't like loud
> though - I'd much rather sacrifice any possible hp gains, which I don't
> _really_ need and stick with stock.  I have worse than stock now - like a
> $50 el cheapo muffler on there - but I won't think about changing to
> something 'better' if it's gonna make the Red Beast any more beastly.
>
> I can't afford to do any of this now beyond fixing the downpipe - just
> looking for more information  for my "if I had money" wish list.  It's a
> 2.0L engine too, but I don't know if that makes a difference for choosing
> an exhaust.

A cat-back system from TT isn't that much more if you get their bottom level
muffler (this muffler is a waste of time IMHO). You'll really notice a
difference with a decent exhaust if you're running a 2L

> Lastly, to steal as much info as I can from you Scirocco wizards, I need to
> get new springs sometime in the medium term.  I replaced the struts 2 years
> ago with fairly cheap stock replacement Monroe struts - also had to replace
> bump stops and so on . . . it cost a lot more than I planned.  To save
> money, I didn't replace the springs at the same time.  A mistake, I think -
> the rear end bottoms out going over any moderately hefty bumps.  What
> springs would any of you suggest to pair with these struts?

This symptom is not due to your springs. It's not unheard of for those shocks
to blow quicker than expected (but @ $20/per who cares?). If you have to rip
out your shocks again, swap in some used springs. With the coilover craze in
full effect, you can pick up some decent used springs for relatively cheaply.
Check the Vortex.

On a summary note, we're all cheap-asses (TM) to some degree, but certain
things you just have to pay for to get peace of mind...my $0.02...

HTH, JT