Wheel bearing?

> If loud when turning left, do the
> right.  Sciroccos are no different than anything else in this
> respect, wtf?

You are assuming that all bearing failure modes result in increased noise under increased cornering load.  It is quite possible for
a bearing to offer little to no difference under these conditions.  The bearing race preload is comparable to the vehicle weight,
and cornering forces could actually be changing the path of the bearings, shifting them to a less used, and possibly even *quieter*
portion of the race.  It's happened to me, and I was absolutely placing heavy load (>1G turning) on the bearings in an attempt to
isolate the faulty part.  It was enough to trick me into changing the 'wrong' side first (I test drove between swaps to confirm my
suspicion).

I don't mean to say that the right/left thing is a bad strategy, I'm simply posing another data point - as I have personally
observed the usual strategy of replacing the side opposite the louder turn fall flat on its face.  If you only buy one bearing, and
change it, just be prepared for the possibility of your problem remaining.

HTH
Al