I just want to DRIVE a Scirocco

But so far this season, it's not happening, despite lots
(and lots) of dedicated wrenching time.

You've all heard the tale of the '86 not having oil
pressure.  I set it aside temporarily until I could pick up
a couple parts to (hopefully) fix the problem.  S'okay
though, there's other cars to work on.

Next up, the 16v.  It's had a fuel tank venting issue,
therefore I've not been driving it.  I've replaced what I
hope was the problem, but when I went to test drive it,
discovered a new noise from the front that sounds all the
world like a bad wheel bearing, complete with the symptoms.
 (Noise when turning one direction over the other, speed
related etc.)  Problem is, it just suddenly happened.
Haven't as of yet determined the exact issue, not for lack
of trying.

That brings us to Gino.  I spent the last two days taking
care of a few more cosmetic issues along with some rust
control, plus new brakes while I'm at it.  So I go to fire
him up to move the 16v back into the prime work-space, and
he won't start.  Sputters a couple times, but nothing else.
 I finally get him running for a few seconds, however the
tach drops to nothing for a second, then back up to idle.
Second time a few seconds later, zero tach and he's dead,
not to restart.  Obviously there's an ignition problem
somewhere, which sux as Cathy went through and replaced a
bunch of wiring in October due to this same problem.
Unfortunately, it's reared its ugly head again, so it's not
completely solved.

So here I sit with three dead Sciroccos.  I wouldn't feel
so bad other than I've spent almost all of my spare time
for the last two weeks working on them.  It's springtime,
it's Scirocco driving weather, and I seem to be further
from driving one than when I started.  It's really quite
depressing.  I mean, how embarrassing would it be to have
to tow them all over to mom & dad's for Cincy this year?
At this rate that's what's going to happen.

I just don't know if I have the heart to go back over to
the hangar this afternoon and drop the pan on the '86 now
that I've at least got a new pan gasket.  (Thanks Ben!)
With the way my luck is running today, I imagine I should
quit while I'm behind, lest I fall further back.

Thanks for listening to me whine.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172