I just want to DRIVE a Scirocco

On 4/23/06, Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:

> But so far this season, it's not happening, despite lots
> (and lots) of dedicated wrenching time.

Well, if it's any consolation, I've had about 15 minutes of seat time in
Carrots this spring.  And about 30 hours of wrenching time.

You've all heard the tale of the '86 not having oil
> pressure.  I set it aside temporarily until I could pick up
> a couple parts to (hopefully) fix the problem.  S'okay
> though, there's other cars to work on.

There are always other cars to work on.  But are there other Sciroccos to
work on?  Apparently yes?

> therefore I've not been driving it.  I've replaced what I
> hope was the problem, but when I went to test drive it,
> discovered a new noise from the front that sounds all the
> world like a bad wheel bearing, complete with the symptoms.
> (Noise when turning one direction over the other, speed
> related etc.)  Problem is, it just suddenly happened.
> Haven't as of yet determined the exact issue, not for lack
> of trying.

Well, a wheel bearing.  It's just another tune that you don't need to hum
along to.

> That brings us to Gino.  I spent the last two days taking
> care of a few more cosmetic issues along with some rust

Cosmetics?  Gino?  No way... :)

> somewhere, which sux as Cathy went through and replaced a
> bunch of wiring in October due to this same problem.
> Unfortunately, it's reared its ugly head again, so it's not
> completely solved.

A Scirocco with wiring problems?  That's almost unheard of...!

So here I sit with three dead Sciroccos.  I wouldn't feel

Just three?  Sh&t, I've only got four, and NONE of them are running.

> so bad other than I've spent almost all of my spare time
> for the last two weeks working on them.  It's springtime,
> it's Scirocco driving weather, and I seem to be further
> from driving one than when I started.  It's really quite

Damn, stop reminding me..!  I've spent the past few weekends worth of spare
time on a pump swap for Carrots, and I haven't got her started yet - of
course it would help if I had a pump I knew was good... But that would take
all the excitement out of the exercise...

depressing.  I mean, how embarrassing would it be to have
> to tow them all over to mom & dad's for Cincy this year?
> At this rate that's what's going to happen.

Oh come on, it's not that bad.

> With the way my luck is running today, I imagine I should
> quit while I'm behind, lest I fall further back.

It has to get worse before it gets better, it's a VW after all!

> Thanks for listening to me whine.

I'll send you some cheese, how's that? :)

Cheer up, at the time this email was written there was only
1 month, 8 days, 3 hours, and 58 minutes until Cincy2K+6!

And you'll get at least one of those Scirocco's running before then, I have
faith.  At least you don't have to get them roadworthy enough to withstand a
1000 mile round trip... :)

Drew

--
84 Wolfsburg Ed. Scirocco GTD     http://scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca/gtd