Cold Weather Question

On 4/15/06, Marc Getty <marc@getty.net> wrote:

> So in 2 weeks my Scirocco and I should be in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Of late
> the weather of late has been 0 degrees F (-18C) during the day and -10 F
> (-23) at night. Maybe it will be a little bit warmer by the first week of
> may, but maybe not.
>
> Can anyone on the list share any potential problems I may have?

Marc,

I was showing your planned route to Sean, and he mentioned that you
might want to pack a set of tire chains in case they're needed over
some of the mountain passes (pull off areas are provided to install
and remove them).  The weather can radically change from the bottom to
the top of a pass, and you'll be glad you packed them if they're
needed...  I experienced this first hand this past winter on my trip
to B.C.

You're also a brave man to attempt the northern leg of this trip
without a set of winter tires.  I'll donate my set of Nokian RSI's (w/
75% tread left) to the cause if you want to swing by here on your way
out - they'll be good for the whole trip (they're nice and quiet on
highways for a winter tire).  Just chuck them when you're done with
them, I was planning on buying another set next year anyways (I drive
WAY too aggressively to make winter tires last more than a season).
Surprisingly, the Nokians wore much less than others I've tried, so
they'll still be perfect for your trip...

Good luck!

Later,

Mark
75