From: Mark F. [mailto:mk1mark@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:45 PM
To: Marc Getty
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Cold Weather Question

Marc,

I was showing your planned route to Sean, and he mentioned that you might
want to pack a set of tire chains in case they're needed over some of the
mountain passes (pull off areas are provided to install and remove them).
The weather can radically change from the bottom to the top of a pass, and
you'll be glad you packed them if they're needed...  I experienced this
first hand this past winter on my trip to B.C.

You're also a brave man to attempt the northern leg of this trip without a
set of winter tires.  I'll donate my set of Nokian RSI's (w/ 75% tread left)
to the cause if you want to swing by here on your way out - they'll be good
for the whole trip (they're nice and quiet on highways for a winter tire).
Just chuck them when you're done with them, I was planning on buying another
set next year anyways (I drive WAY too aggressively to make winter tires
last more than a season).
Surprisingly, the Nokians wore much less than others I've tried, so they'll
still be perfect for your trip...

Good luck!

Later,

Mark