Rear upper Stress Bar.

Gordon Forbess wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:14:18 -0700, Cory Langford
> <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:
>

>> I have heard conflicting reports on their usefulness.  Does the back end
>> of a mk1 scirocco actually flex that much?  Is a rear bar just a show
>> piece or does it actually add some value?
>>

> Ancient school opinion is that they don't really do anything but add
> weight to solve a non-existant problem.  I have a difficult time
> believing that the kind that simply bolts between the tops of the rear
> shocks (or shock towers) can help anything, even IF there is flex in
> that area.  The kind with the diagonal support could actually work..
> IF there is flex in that area.
>
> Then again, some people say they are very handy for a tieing down your
> trunk cargo.   FWIW, I don't have one.
> Gordon
>
> 75 Mk1/Drake 1.9
> http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/scirocco.htm

My opinion?
  They work.  I felt the difference, and a girlfriend in the past felt
the difference when I didn't tell her what I did to the car.  It is
small, but percieveable.  If you are a mild street driver, it may not be
worth it though.  IMO, the triangulated rear bar is not worth it, get
the autotech rear bar.  Cheaper, and you don't loose your trunk space.

David