Rear upper Stress Bar.

So I have a rear stress bar sitting around, and I was thinking of
installing it into the mk1.

I have heard conflicting reports on their usefulness.  Does the back end
of a mk1 scirocco actually flex that much?  Is a rear bar just a show
piece or does it actually add some value?

Also, I notices there seems to be two different ways to mount the upper
rear stress bar.

Some bars are mounded with a U style bolt that goes around the rear shock
mounting cup (the one that is welded to the actual frame), and the other
method I have seen is where the rear bar is attached by bolting it to the
top of the actual rear shock itself.  Is one actually better than other?

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - RIP,
'81S Roc,