A2 Parts on an A1 Chassis

The recent thread re: fuel lines got me to thinking- I
pulled an A2 fuel 'set' off of a GTI last week. I
combines the 2nd (Main) pump (w/ noise suppression
box), the Fuel Accumulator, and the Fuel Filter all in
one sub-assembly. It's pretty cool looking but It's
also a different way of doing things vs the A1 setup.

- A2 (well, mid 1985 and later) used a siphon 'over
the top' type two pump setup vs the early 'pull from
the bottom' single pump in my 81. I believe the two
main pumps (early & later) are rated differently which
makes for some hesitancy in using a later pump with an
early gas tank.

- I have my fuel filter way up front vs back by the
pump/tank. Two just seems to be extra drag/load on the
system. (Hmm, maybe I could just mock up a big ol fat
clear cylinder for the gas to gurgle through- just
like the carbed air cooled beasties have. ;])

- The later setup includes some vibration dampening
mounts in the little sub frame it's part of, kinda
cool. OTOH it's adding weight, albeit down low in the
center of gravity.

- Pipping, Fuel Lines might be a bit tricky, and
what's the point anyway? Cool Points? Anyhow I got to
dreaming up some other projects; like a a trailer with
an aux fuel tank hung low. This type of fuel assembly,
(along with a small marine 12v gel battery I picked
up) might just be the ticket. But that's for another
time.

So, what else from an 86 GOLF can I cannibalize onto a
Scirocco Mk1 or an A1 Rabbit?

TBerk

Yahoo! for Good