Stealing abandoned cars (in this case a Delorean!)

I was going to say CARFAX the VIN, but I think DeLorean's are too old for
that.
What about paying the DMV for the info on the car using the VIN?  Then track
down the owner that way.
What if you were to just flag down a brother in blue and ask him to look up
the owner?  A scanner tuned to the right frequency can get a lot of info.

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
95 Passat GLX
Second Owner

I know there are procedures for picking up abandoned cars, paying any
state fees required, and registering them to yourself, but I'm not
familiar with them.  Maybe having to do with liens of some sort?  Can
I check the car out somehow from the VIN/plate number?  Does anyone
know the procedures for something like this.  Car is located in and
registered in Maryland.

-Grant-