SOT: Stealing abandoned cars (in this case a Delorean!)

Does anyone know if there's any way to rescue an abandoned car
legally?  There's a delorean that has been sitting in a parking lot
where I keep my cars - it's tires are flat, it's filthy, and it's been
sitting there for years.  It does, however, seem to have an up to date
sticker on the license plate, so the owner might be coming by annually
to change it.  There's a note in the window about "if there are
problems call " and a number, but the ink is so sunfaded it's
disappeared and you literally have to read it by the impression the
ballpoint pen left in the paper.  The lot is being repaved in the
coming weeks so the car has to move by tonight anyways, and I'm almost
positive that the owner has not been informed, because midshipmen are
the only ones allowed to park there and he certainly doesn't go to my
school, at least not anymore.

I want it.  I want to steal it and if it's not running fix it up, and
drive it for a while and then maybe sell it for profit.

I know there are procedures for picking up abandoned cars, paying any
state fees required, and registering them to yourself, but I'm not
familiar with them.  Maybe having to do with liens of some sort?  Can
I check the car out somehow from the VIN/plate number?  Does anyone
know the procedures for something like this.  Car is located in and
registered in Maryland.

-Grant-