SOT: Stealing abandoned cars (in this case a Delorean!)

You can file an applicatoin for lost title, but that will take several weeks.  The state takes responsibility for contacting the owner and getting them to block your title application.  AFAIK, they won't tell you the address or name of the owner.

Any policeman can get the license plate run to give you the owner's name.  They aren't suppoed to just do this on a whim, but I'm sure you can find one to help out in this case.  That would give you the owner's name and maybe even address within a matter of minutes.  Flag down some cop (not during his lunch break - they get aggressive when they are hungry!, LOL).

Of course, if you can get into the car, there is almost certainly something in it that gives you the owner's name, but the trick is to get that info without committing theft.

I would consider having the car towed to a safer location - prefereably not to your home, as that would more likely be considered stealing.  Can you move it to a lot that isn't being repaved to give you time to do the title ap, or whatever?

If the poor sod who owns it is out at sea or something, they will be unlikely to respond to the title application search in time, and you will probably be awarded the title in a matter of weeks.  If you contact him and tell him what happened, I would be surprised if he didn't thank you for keeping his Delorean from being impounded and crushed, and by rights he should ante up to cover your expenses.  Of course, if you hold the title, then he is pretty much under your mercy, though he might file a civil suit - which he would probably lose.

Brian