Idle question, don't delete me please...(Fox manifold/8V)

*Walks out to the foxxy wagon, peers around abit and comes back in to
write this*

Cathy, as you described it, seems you have yours hooked backwards.  My AAV
is bolted with the plug facing skyward, the hose from the intake comes in
the top (next to the plug) and the hose out the bottom does over to the TB
boot (tee'd into the CCV system right there too...kinda nice not do deal
with oil soaked air filters).

More comments:

> SO the latest, I can get it to idle smoothly at 1000ish hot or cold, but
> once on a while, it just will not stay running when I come up to a stop.
> Especially when it's realy warmed up. So what gives?

Does this happen when you have been sitting and idling a lot, or in stop
and go type traffic?  I know you are running a straight CIS system, so
there isn't a ton it can be.  But...I'm wondering if your going super lean
due to the "CPR heatsoak" issue that Dick Wong experienced and fixed with
a simple spacer between the CPR and the block.  Easy test, unbolt the CPR
from the block and drive it around (yes, you'll run super rich, but it
will rule out that part causing the issue).

Alternatively, you could be having a heat related vaccum leak I suppose...

> AAV has been bench tested and closes visually in 2.5 minutes when hooked
> 12V, and there is 13+getting to it at the plug on the car. But squeezing
> the hose to it still drops the idle some when hot.

Probably enough vaccum at idle to pull air through it when closed...I'd
have to test that on my fox, but it doesn't surprise me really.

> Mixture is way off, I know that, it'll go for another round of gas
> anaylysis Thursday, friggin CIS doesn't give you any feedback other than
> running poorly. I'm sure it's way rich.

Fix the AAV to be plumbed correctly, then fix your mixture, and you
probably won't have the cold running problems you described when you had
the AAV plumbed correctly.  Fixing that mixture will help eliminate *some*
of your hot running stalls too I'd be willing to bet.

Is the CPR a part you have replaced btw?  Do you have the ability to check
both system pressure and control pressure? (IE, do you own the tools, I
know you have the ability!!!)

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap project)
1981 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel -FOR SALE-
1990 Corrado TDI
1990 Fox Wagon
1991 Cabriolet (2.0 crossflow 8v project)