WAS: Possible DD Scirocco, NOW: New DD and a question

I just got back from Eastern PA, with a black 85 Wolfie in tow.
Woo hoo.

The seller was a nice guy (kid) and the price was reasonable.
Here are the details:
Black
No roof
original 13" alloys - might keep these for economy/snow performance
Manual windows and locks
Cruise
Interesting front seats: plaid, with big bolsters (any idea where these came
from?)
looks mostly original, except for seats and door cards
very little rust - ugly dent in right rear quarter

It has a running problem....I'd be open/grateful for your thoughts and
suggestions:
It bogs, sputters, misses and stalls when you gas it....idles fine.  It
seems to starve for fuel after you gas it, as it dies pretty hard and
doesn't recover to an idle.  Seems slightly worse after running for a couple
of minutes.

The fuel pumps are way noisy....both of them.  I'm thinking a clogged
strainer/filter on the transfer pump.

I'm gonna check the usual stuff:
Timing (ignition and valve)
Advance
Fuel delivery - do the quick airmeter injector flow eyeball test, then the
pump delivery test, if needed
Air leaks inline between airmeter and intake
Vacuum lines
Possibly the control pressure regulator

Those pumps are so noisy.  They seem to be straining.  I'm probably gonna
pull the transfer pump first.
Thanks for listening.

Jim
(Future daily Scirocco driver :-) )