Lockup advice?

Semi OT;

I just had to emergency repair my ebrake handle.  The ebrake cables
are tension held to a small bracket which is in turn, tension held to
the ebrake handle with a little help of a small metal hook.  This
should be fairly common knowledge right?

What do you do when the PO misadjusted the brakes AND bent that hook
to the point where it is about to snap off?  Every time you release
the brake the small aforementioned bracket falls off.  Grr.

I don't have the money at the moment to buy another handle... Grr X2
Hell it would be my luck that they aren't available anyways.

Lockwire.  I know that is the GHETTO FABULOUS way to do it but
"necessity is the motherf*cker of all invention".   I lockwired the
small bracket to the ebrake handle.  Works like a dream.  18 guage
lockwire is a must on a 15+ year old car.  If the muffler falls off
(been there) it's good for that too.  ;)  It doesn't conduct
electricity very well, it's resistant to heat, and it's fairly strong.

I swear to the pagan gods of the Scirocco that it is ONLY a temporary
fix.  I really needed an ebrake cable.  Leaving this car in gear is
BAD news.  I swore that I would fix the windsheild after it leaked and
the alarm/remote start shorted earlier this year.  I hit the unlock
button and the beeotch started up!  Not that this is normally
catastrophic... but it was in gear and my dumb ass decided I was going
to stop it from rolling by pulling really hard on the door handle.
Law of gross tonnages applied there and even though I am kinda fat I
don't have the mass or the strength to hold back a stampeding
Scirocco.  I am ashamed to say it, but I got my finger caught in the
handle and I was dragged.

I know I know I know.  I am not worthy to own a scirocco... I
shouldn't have pee'd in the gene pool again as the jackass got dragged
by his own car gene was more than like passed on to my children.

LOL
Chris