Mk1 window seals (front & rear)

I love your car. My friend has a 77 rabbit in the same green, very cool
color. If your windshield seal is hard and not rubbery anymore I would say
it needs to be replaced for a proper seal when the windshield goes back in.
You should be able to get the metal trim out if you are careful and reuse it
if it does not get bent. I have never looked for new replacement trim but
bet that there is none readily available. That is why you are on this list
because pack rats like me have extra:) New seals are available on Ebay for
$100 or you can get it without the slot for the trim for a Cali for around
$60 IIRC.
New windshields are rare and you just missed out on a group buy (wish I had
extra $300 for one). It took me 3 months and $100 to just find a used one in
town. I would recommend cutting up the old seal with a utility knife, unless
it is in immaculate shape, to get the window out in one piece and buy a new
seal and pay some auto glass company $50 to install it. I have tried to
install 2 windshields myself and broke both. I know it is possible to put
one in yourself, but if you have never done it and are impatient as I am, it
is cheaper to have someone who does it for a living do it than to break it
and have to find and buy a new windshield.
Just my $0.02 Good luck!