Mk1 window seals (front & rear)

Hey folks!

I am getting tired of looking at the rust on my Mk1 Scirocco. I  am afraid to
drive it when I see rain in the forecast. It appears the rust is  just
surface but not sure until l uncover it (under window seals,  trim, et cetera). I
want to take care of it once and for all and repaint the car  as close to the
Viper Green that it is today (stock color in the mid to late  70's from VW). I
was going to take an auto body shop class at my old high school  this fall. My
friend took it last year and was able to clean up his Corrado and  respray it
in their booth at the end of the class. It came out pretty good. As a  result,
that is what I am looking to do. I would like this to be my project  where I
can get some hands on experience with this and just pay for the  materials.
However......

I feel that I need to pull the front windshield out and the rear glass out
of the hatch to properly clean up some issues. This has me concerned with what
seems to be "no longer available" seals and windshield (if it broke) issue.
Can the seals be reused and how hard is it to pull the chrome trim out of the
seal without damaging it? My front windshield does not have the chrome trim
bit  it looks like the seal does not seal properly without it. I don't want to
start  this project and not have parts (trim or glass) ready on the side to
replace if  I do run into an issue. Thanks for any insight.

Jim
77 Turbo Scirocco
_http://members.aol.com/jlpawlicki/_ (http://members.aol.com/jlpawlicki/)