More on oil addatives

Ok, did some more research.

Tufoil is just a mixture of other addatives it seems:

It is touted as being "a super-suspension of micro-miniature PTFE
particles and soluble Molybdenum, permanently suspended in oil." And, it
will not clog filters or oil openings, according to the manufacturer.

I've read enough about PTFE to know its crap...and learned quite a bit
tonight.

You basically only have about 4 choices out there if you are someone into
"snake oil addatives":

1. PTFE based (problems with build up, no real "bonding" as claimed)
2. Moly based
3. Chlorine based (proven to cause corrosion)
4. Rarely found, hard to find info on, nylon polymer

Choice number 4 seems interesting...LOTS of tests, was what the Original
Slick 50 was until 1984 when the supplier changed and they dumped PTFE in
it (yet still kept touting the old tests on the nylon polymer formula).

Lots of tests on that nylon polymer were found (though of course none have
specific chemical make up) and everything I could find (from skeptics to
full on lab tests) shows it actually works.  Its been sold under quite a
few brand names over the years...currently peddled as "XcelPlus".
(www.xcelplus.com).

I have decided to guniea pig the Corrado (we keep a ton of logs on that
thing since its Katys commuter and servicing it regularly and it getting
top MPG is the whole point of having it).  I will do their recommended
"purge" then add thier product and report back.  This engine has been
cared for, and has had synth lubes and diesel fuel addatives its whole
life, so it should be an interesting test case.  Currently its averaging
43 to 42 MPG per tankful (and has its whole life according to the PO that
put on atleast 100k on the swap).  It is however getting a little tired,
using small amounts of oil and cold starts have become a little rough with
small amouts of oil burning (could be a bad injector...I really should
test compression before and after though).

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

1979 Dasher Coupe 2.0 8v
1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap project)
1990 Corrado TDI
1990 Fox Wagon (1.6 Heron head project)
1991 Cabriolet (2.0 crossflow 8v project)