axle noise & parts swap

> > From: "Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@wideopenwest.com>

> >    so my right side axle decided to start making noise
> today. i knew
> > the boot was bad and had been preparing for it. my
> question is does
> > the clicking mean that the cv joint is hosed or can it
> be repacked
> > and used again?

Nope - replace it - it will ONLY get worse.

> >    also, if the car had 90mm hubs on it, would it be
> possible to swap
> > a 90mm out end on it and keep the 100mm inner (and vice
> versa)? this
> > is more for my edification.

Yes, that's possible.  The only time you'll get in trouble
is when you try to use 100mm outers with a 90mm hub.

Daun and Julie, if you
> can believe it, did
> one last night on a Wolfie,

Yep.  That's like at least an axle a weekend average for me
the last month & a half I'm guessing.  The one we replaced
on Julie's "new" car was *really* bad - like binding bad.
I just heard from her and she's about an hour from home at
this point...   which is a WHOLE other story as well.  (Can
you say two hours at a BP station in Columbus in the rain
when we're SUPPOSED to be meeting the mom-in-law at the
airport in Cincinnati?)

More later, I'm whupped from yet another "relaxing"
weekend.  Damn Sciroccos.  :p

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172

http://mail.yahoo.com