my version of the idle problem

On 2:56:33 am 10/20/05 "Dick Y Wong" <sailingfc@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> One guess is that it's the control pressure regulator is closing too
> soon or there may be a restriction in it that makes it look like it's
> closing too soon.  Try unplugging the electrical connector to the CPR
> the next time you start the cold engine and see it the symptoms are
> the same. Second guess is that the auxilliary air valve (does a 16V
> have this?) is stuck closed or not fully open, when cold. Check it
> out. Good Luck.
>
> -Dick-
> 78 Scirocco
> Original Owner
> 95 Passat GLX
> Second Owner

The 16V (CIS-E) is a bit different than CIS, and it has an idle stabiliser
valve (which folks usually shorten to ISV) on the engine, it'll have some
big air hoses to it, and an electrical plug (much like an AAV does). I'm
not sure if ISV problems behave like yours, but it may be something to
check.
If you like, I can copy the pages in my Bosch injection book so you can see
what the parts all do. Or in your case, do when they feel like it. Control
of fuel has an electrical component lacking in the non-E cars, which  makes
trouble shooting all the more fun. Knock on wood, glad mine's happy.

cathy
1979 CIS 8V
1987 CIS-E 16V