kinda OT (same engine) - the passat starter delema

OK, to add to the delema, I just removed the starter. I was pleased to find
all flywheel teeth in tact, however I was unhappy to find that I can rotate
a wheel while in 5th gear, and the flywheel rotates freely (without rotating
the engine). Ugh, what the heck can cause that?!?!?!

Could all 6 flywheel bolts have backed out?

Al