kinda OT (same engine) - the passat starter delema

Ok, so some of you may have remembered me posting looking for a starter a
few days back. Heres the situation:

We had some high water around here a week ago when the storm passed by us.
The wife's Passat started doing weird starter things, where the starter
would spin free and 'not catch', but then after a few tries it would start
fine and she would be on her way. A few days later it wouldn't start (still
spinning free), and nothing would make it work. I removed the starter and
cleaned out the throw out portion of it, lubricating it a bit as well. I
reinstalled it, same result (spins free, does not engage). I figure the
solenoid is toast, so I get a replacement. I put it in part way, checking
for movement (to ensure the old bushing had a tight tolerance - it did). I
install it fully, jump in, and it does the same freggin thing - spinning
free. I figure a couple of teeth could be missing from the flywheel, so I
put it in gear and roll it a foot, attempt to crank again, still spinning
free. It doesn't seem to be jamming or anything, as it coasts down smoothly
when the cranking is stopped. Tomorrow morning I'm pulling the starter again
and looking in the hole to check it out, but in the meantime, any ideas???

- 2 bad starters in a row?

- all teeth missing on a flywheel? (I've never seen anything close to that
on an older 16v setup)

- something up with the tranny housing that prevents the pinion from
throwing out?

I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Al