Guess what I did today part 2

--- Chris Bennett <scirocco16vr32@gmail.com> wrote:

> I could absolutely scream.

Yeah, me too. Prep thyself for some piling on.

> I tried to take my car to the local VW expert,
<snip>
> ... he
> suggested that I pull the idle stabilizer and run
> some carb cleaner
> through it.

OK. Note he said "some carb cleaner". Not a waste oil
lubricant.

> He told me that it would throw off the
> fuel mixture but
> should solve the motorboating problem.  So I pull
> the idle stabilizer,
> clean it and throw a shot of WD-40 in it,

Ahhh! Not WD-40!!!!! (OK, it's not _that_ bad), WD-40
has Sulfur in it, it'll latch onto the Platinum in the
O2 Sensor rendering it less reactive.

Never, ever, ever do that again.  Got it?

8D

Solvents are not Lubricants are not Catalysts, etc,
etc.

> and the
> car runs a lot better
> now.  Still wants to bog down under load, but it
> seems he's offering
> free advice and a free tune by ear.

I'm glad there is some improvement. (Man, my arms are
tired now.) I'd throw this out there for further
improvement. Do a Tune Up. Garden Variety, Stem to
Stern Tune Up. Air & Oil Filters, Plugs. Timing &
Advance, Oil. Get a good base line you know you can
stand on.

<snipped tale of woe>
>  I got out and threw the screwdriver as far
> as I could, screamed a few obscenities and
> just went in the house.

Been there, done that. (This is how we learn not to do
stupid stuff anymore.) Installing a set of 4"
Blaupunkt speakers I poked a screwdriver through one,
got so mad a trashed the other one too. Are we
commiserating yet?

Lets leave off on a hopeful note. Maybe you'll find
some Seafoam in the local parts place. Draw it into a
warmed up motor via a vacuum line until it stalls and
let it sit awhile, start it back up again and watch
all the pretty black smoke come out the tail pipe.
Wee!

Just like the 4th of July. Amaze your neighbors who
think you just blew your rings when the smoke clears
and you tool around in Scriocco Greatness.

Carry on,
TBerk

Yahoo! for Good