From: Kevin Brosha <kjbrosha@gmail.com>
Date: Oct 3, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts and Leaking Oil
To: scirocco list <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>

 On 10/3/05, Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Kevin Brosha <kjbrosha@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Having checked, the left and right *look* ok, the front
> > and rear look shot.
> > I read some reccomendation, somewhere, not to go with too
> > much polyurethane,
> > so I was thinking a poly front mount, and normal mounts
> > for the other 3 ( I
> > know I saw a car somewhere on the vast world of internet
> > scirocco site's
> > that did this, and seemed happy with it). Good/bad idea?
>
> I would say bad - very bad. It's been the experience of a
> number of folks on this list that the poly front mount
> significantly increases the risk of front crossmember
> cracks. I would go with a HD front mount, no more.

 Glad I asked first! Normal HD rubber mount it is.

As for the vibration, it is most likely caused by the
> dreaded passenger side mount. This isn't exactly a fun job
> - the mount has to be pressed into the housing. This is
> usually a good time to change the timing belt and tensioner
> since at least the belt has to come off to get the motor
> mount bracket off the block. (When was your timing belt
> last changed?)

 Timing belt & tensioner changed around 15000km, when the motor was put in
the car.

> And yes, I have a Bently manual, and no, I haven't looked
> > at it yet, it's
> > hiding in a box somewhere, waiting to be unpacked from my
> > move from Calgary.
>
> Dig it out and read up. :)
>
> All I
> > have as far as tools go, is a ratchet set, screwdrivers
> > and the like, and a
> > jack and jack stands. Do I need more tools?
>
> Now this is just a silly question. One ALWAYS needs more
> tools!

 Ahh, it would be a good excuse to buy more tools. I'll see what I can do
without though. I'll take a look for the bentley

but then I'll be a
> > male nurse - keep
> > the comments to yourself, or share them, I don't care).
>
> LOL! Well, it does put a blip on my gaydar scope. But
> let's face it, mine's more highly tuned than most around
> here. :p

> Also, any advice on isolating an oil leak? Only happens
> > at high RPM, but
> > the blow-back of that oil covers nearly the whole damned
> > engine and half the
> > underside of the car. Cleaned it off, went for a good
> > long drive - and then
> > the whole thing was covered again.
>
> Clean it off and run the car with the hood open, and look
> for the leak. There's many a place for it to be leaking.
> Oh, a good suspect area would be at the head gasket on the
> passenger side rear of the 2.0 16v.

 Why the head gasket!? That sounds like a lot of work for me to do with my
limited know-how. I was hoping the oil pan or something. I may just get my
local vw backyarder guy to find it - he charges next to nothing, and has a
reputation for great work.

> Another problem - engine likes to rev high lately -
> > around 2000 RPM - but
> > not always. Also runs quite rough when it's in a mood to
> > rev high. When it
> > does, I can accellerate in 3rd with my foot off the gas!
> > Does this sound
> > like the ISV?
>
> Possibly, or another air leak somewhere. Remove the ISV
> and clean (brake cleaner works well) and re-install. And
> of course, look for other vacuum leaks. (Check the
> underside of your air boot.)

 I did have a vacuum leak off the intake boot that I found a month ago, who
knows, another one could be found somewhere else!

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio