Motor Mounts and Leaking Oil

--- Kevin Brosha <kjbrosha@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Having checked, the left and right *look* ok, the front
> and rear look shot.
> I read some reccomendation, somewhere, not to go with too
> much polyurethane,
> so I was thinking a poly front mount, and normal mounts
> for the other 3 ( I
> know I saw a car somewhere on the vast world of internet
> scirocco site's
> that did this, and seemed happy with it). Good/bad idea?

I would say bad - very bad.  It's been the experience of a
number of folks on this list that the poly front mount
significantly increases the risk of front crossmember
cracks.  I would go with a HD front mount, no more.

As for the vibration, it is most likely caused by the
dreaded passenger side mount.  This isn't exactly a fun job
- the mount has to be pressed into the housing.  This is
usually a good time to change the timing belt and tensioner
since at least the belt has to come off to get the motor
mount bracket off the block.  (When was your timing belt
last changed?)

> And yes, I have a Bently manual, and no, I haven't looked
> at it yet, it's
> hiding in a box somewhere, waiting to be unpacked from my
> move from Calgary.

Dig it out and read up.  :)

All I
> have as far as tools go, is a ratchet set, screwdrivers
> and the like, and a
> jack and jack stands. Do I need more tools?

Now this is just a silly question.  One ALWAYS needs more
tools!

but then I'll be a
> male nurse - keep
> the comments to yourself, or share them, I don't care).

LOL!  Well, it does put a blip on my gaydar scope.  But
let's face it, mine's more highly tuned than most around
here. :p

>  Also, any advice on isolating an oil leak? Only happens
> at high RPM, but
> the blow-back of that oil covers nearly the whole damned
> engine and half the
> underside of the car. Cleaned it off, went for a good
> long drive - and then
> the whole thing was covered again.

Clean it off and run the car with the hood open, and look
for the leak.  There's many a place for it to be leaking.
Oh, a good suspect area would be at the head gasket on the
passenger side rear of the 2.0 16v.

>  Another problem - engine likes to rev high lately -
> around 2000 RPM - but
> not always. Also runs quite rough when it's in a mood to
> rev high. When it
> does, I can accellerate in 3rd with my foot off the gas!
> Does this sound
> like the ISV?

Possibly, or another air leak somewhere.  Remove the ISV
and clean (brake cleaner works well) and re-install.  And
of course, look for other vacuum leaks.  (Check the
underside of your air boot.)

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172

http://mail.yahoo.com