Motor Mounts and Leaking Oil

Well, the steering column and dash have been shaking like a . . . well
they've been shaking a lot (only had one coffee today, the simile engine is
gasping for air).
 Having checked, the left and right *look* ok, the front and rear look shot.
I read some reccomendation, somewhere, not to go with too much polyurethane,
so I was thinking a poly front mount, and normal mounts for the other 3 ( I
know I saw a car somewhere on the vast world of internet scirocco site's
that did this, and seemed happy with it). Good/bad idea?
 Since I ain't never done this before, need to know what's involved, etc.
And yes, I have a Bently manual, and no, I haven't looked at it yet, it's
hiding in a box somewhere, waiting to be unpacked from my move from Calgary.
I'm a total newbie when it comes to car work - I've done brake pads, oil
changes, put in a new stereo and speakers, and replaced my broken radiator
fan with a flex-a-lite replacement , which was fun, splicing 2 wires to 3,
but that's it as far as car work - so don't assume I know anything. All I
have as far as tools go, is a ratchet set, screwdrivers and the like, and a
jack and jack stands. Do I need more tools? Always fun to buy more tools -
but I'm a poor starving student once more (will it ever end . . . 6th year
of university now, 2 more expected - but then I'll be a male nurse - keep
the comments to yourself, or share them, I don't care). If I can get by
without new tools, I will.
 Also, any advice on isolating an oil leak? Only happens at high RPM, but
the blow-back of that oil covers nearly the whole damned engine and half the
underside of the car. Cleaned it off, went for a good long drive - and then
the whole thing was covered again. I suppose I could clean it again, and go
for a shorter drive, but where should I be looking. It goes through about 1L
oil per 1000km of driving.
 Another problem - engine likes to rev high lately - around 2000 RPM - but
not always. Also runs quite rough when it's in a mood to rev high. When it
does, I can accellerate in 3rd with my foot off the gas! Does this sound
like the ISV? Just guessing, please enlighten me!!!
 Oh yeah, it's a 1987 16v 2.0 Scirocco, if that helps.
 Thank you, O gods of Scirocco, for hearing my plight! Goddesses too! :)