relocation woes

--- C Boyko <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> I was wondering how widely driving/registration laws/fees
> varied from state
> to state.

NY: $40/yr for registration (paid every 2 years) + ~$18/yr safety inspection.
$80/yr (paid every 2 years) for vanity licence plate registration renewal.
Certain areas require emission tests.  Buffalo might; most of the rest of Upstate
did not.

I don't believe there is a historic designation that excempts you from anything;
I have seen "HX-" series "NY HISTORIC" license plates on very old cars.

WI: No safety inspection; some emissions testing down towards Milwaukee/IL
border-counties of
    *  Kenosha
    * Milwaukee
    * Ozaukee
    * Racine
    * Sheboygan
    * Washington
    * Waukesha
Excemption for diesel and '68 and older cars.

Registration: $55/yr.  Cars 20 years and older "that have not been altered or
modified from the manufacturer's specifications" can get collector plates. For a
one-time fee of $160, the car is permanently registered.  There's a hobbyist
designation that is for cars "modified from the manufacturer's specifications."

There's a $15/yr fee for regular, personalized plates or "Special" plates (like
if you're sad enough to advertise the fact you are a Packers fan to all the
world, you can do that with special license plates.  Or, for just that extra
touch of irony, put Save the Endangered Species plates on your Hummer H2.)

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI       94 Passat GLX                 |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net          81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |
|                                 86 Scirocco                   |