i think it's the fuel pump

yep - i think it's grounds.  battery terminals are good.  main ground
is good i assume because i have a working starter.

the fuel pump ground may be another story - i clamped another ground
wire from the - terminal to a bold on the rear frame area but got no
love - still a steady 9v - will test the battery again, of course.
but the pump is definitely not turning over, just jolting a little,
as julie said it would do if the volts were too low.

will try running + lead directly to it in the next hour here...

blake/

(going to go slug a beer or two before messing with sparks and gasoline)